Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Update

The Annihilator pre-orders are coming in at a trickle. So far just 3 paid and 1 waiting to get a paycheck.  I will run this pre-order through December 13.  If there are not enough paid orders, refunds will go out and I will ponder the next kit.

On another note...am I being left in the past?  It seems those of us who make these kits are moving to 3D printing.  All of the Reverse Disabled products are 3D printed....Scott's Urbie and Vulcan are 3D prints...and I am still toiling away with a knife and plastic.  I can see the beauty of getting a difficult or detailed piece printed, but I like making my mechs by hand...and I have no clue how to use the 3d programs and I am not inclined to learn.  Makes me wonder if I am going to end up out of business because I can't keep up with the times.

Sigh.....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still not sold on 3D printing, either.

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose it all depends what you're interested in.

You've commented yourself as to the price and size of the LDRD mechs, which I would say is at leastly partly due to the 3D printing involved in their construction.

To me, the joy of owning your mechs is that I get a WHOPPING big bit of cool resin (Daishi, for example) for a price which is still comparable to that of the old Armorcast Mechs. LDRD priced themselves out of the market for me...

Also..."I like making my mechs by hand..." By saying that, haven't you answered your own question?

Anyway, you're not allowed to go out of business...I'm still waiting for my MadCat MKII and Masakari, and for all the other coolness you've got! :)

Jim.

PS Okay, rant over...

Wren said...

I’m going to be paying for my preorder of the Annihilator on the 13th (also waiting for paycheck) or earlier.

Also, as for the 3D printing thing, it does seem to be the way of the future- with a 3D printer available for $100 now it seems a fair bet that this is a cheap option for fabrication, supposing you have the CAD software and skill to craft ‘mechs in this way.

Fusco's Battlemech Models said...

From what I have seen it is not so much the printer but the resins and how much they cost per cubic inch. A quote I had gotten for the Flea was well over $300.

Fusco's Battlemech Models said...

Jim...you are right about me answering my own question. My concern is what people are going to expect in the future.

Wren said...

All in all though, you have tremendous talent at scratch building these models to be cast from moulds. It take a lot of talent to be able to put the pieces together and draw up plans than it does to do CAD stuff, from what i understand about it. I think we all know how much work you put into getting these ‘mech kits built, and the community really wants to see you continuing on them one way or the other.

Anonymous said...

Samuel,

Well said! Couldn't agree more!

Keep up the good work Tim!

Jim.

Fusco's Battlemech Models said...

Awe...shucks.