Friday, January 3, 2014

Mad Cat MK II: Update

UPDATE:  All information has gone to the caster and I am waiting on a price.  Once I have that pre-orders will be available.

Here are some pics of the up coming Mad Cat MK II.  I had already built the torso when I decided this would be a kit, so that is the main part that will be hard to mold. The rest should be straight forward.  I have build the legs with ball & socket style joints so you can pin it in a static pose or you can easily position the legs for something more dynamic.  For pieces that are identical left/right I only made a single master piece (LRM, toes).  Also, I have no pics of this thing together...use your imagination.

Hip Section.  Notice the round recess on the top.  That is where the torso will plug in.




Torso.  The large flat surface facing the camera will be completely covered by the cockpit/vent piece.

Rear torso



Bottom Torso.  The round piece plugs into the hip section.

Side Torso.  Round piece is where the arm mount will plug in.

LRM

LRM Back


Upper Leg

Upper torso pieces

Assembled (and well balanced)

Arm.  You will get two barrels...Gauss and PPC

See how easily the barrel plugs in?  And, it is a tight fit.  You could skip glue and leave it interchangeable.

Round piece will plug into the part that connects this to the torso.


Lower leg and foot.  Again, notice the ball and socket.

Hip, upper leg, lower leg, foot.

Foot and master toes.  Big one to the rear, then two for the front.



And because someone will ask, here are some pics with the Vulture MK II kit to give you a sense of size.



12 comments:

Padre^ said...

Very very cool indeed. Can't wait to see this bad boy assembled...

Big thumbs up!

Unknown said...

Awesome. Just awesome. Just looking at the parts makes me want to model it in-flight....though that would take some creative liberties. I'm in, for the pre-order. Just lemme know when you want payment.

scott said...

Yup this is one kit I will happily pay for.

nate said...

I'm on board, put me down for one

Wren said...

Forget Gauss or PPC though….I’m going twin Rotary AC/5

Padre^ said...

The Rotary AC5s would look great, but I'm really liking the "twin barrel" look from the Wiki...

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/4/4c/MadcatMkII.jpg

Tim, this is just a thought, but surely it wouln't take much to make a "conversion kit" for this model to create either the original Mad Cat, or a "Savage Wolf" (MadCat MK IV)?

Jim.

Fusco's Battlemech Models said...

Jim- When you look at the Prime Load Out, the double barrels make no sense. 2 Gauss (arms) 4 Med Lasers (chin) LRM (Torso). While I do plan on adding a small piece above the main barrel, it would only be for looks.

It is way to big for a standard Timberwolf and as the MK IV is a 75 tonner, it may be too big for that too.

nate said...

The twin barrels on the wiki kind of looks like a targeting laser possibly...that's my only thought

Padre^ said...

Nate - that's always been my thought, too, that they were like a targeting array.

Tim - Just from "eyeballing" the model, it looked like it was comparable in size to the Armorcast Mad Cat, or slightly bigger. And my thought process was that, since you've got the torso, legs, and LRM boxes done, it wouldn't be a huge step to a "kit" to modify those base pieces.

Jim.

Unknown said...

It's just my two cents, but my favorite iteration of this mech was always 4 light gauss rifles and jump jets. This config made this mech a long range killer. Any time that I dropped against a team that was fielding one, it always gave me a sense of foreboding to see it popping up above distant mountains....

Fusco's Battlemech Models said...

Did both the Light Gauss fit in the Arm mounts?

Jim...I put this with the Amorcast Madcat and this one is about 25% larger.

Unknown said...

Tim, I don't know about MWO....I have yet to dive into that game (though my son has been after me to join up) As I remember it, in Mech 4 this mech had omni slots in the right and left torso. One light gauss each in the right and left torso. One in each arm.