Sunday, February 16, 2014

On the Bench

For those that are in withdrawal, here is an update. It would seem there is an overwhelming interest in medium mechs.  That being said the commission work ties in well.  Here is what has been going on....

Daishi Kits:  Just got them in...the last 5. For those that pre-paid, they will ship next week (Monday is a Postal holiday).  The main body is hollow cast and the side walls are a little thinner than I would like, but there is not much I can do there...

Mad Cat MK II:  When I talked to the caster a week or so ago, he was finishing up a job and getting ready to start on the Mad Cat MK II. If you are like me, you are chomping at the bit to see some progress. I have requested pictures...but that is one area where the caster has been lacking.  Given the quality of the kits, I guess I can't complain. :)

Uziel: This one has a lot of rounded shapes and curved surfaces so I am going to try using high density PU to carve these pieces. It also looks like the various parts will lend themselves well to kit design. Additionally, Scott over at the Messy Desk started on this one a long time ago. I have acquired his parts to see if I can incorporate them into this build.  This will be the Uziel 2S version.

Bushwacker:  Just got the down payment for this commission. I will probably start it in a couple weeks.  I may take an artistic liberty or two...I am not fond of the lower legs on the mini. They seem too rounded for the rest of the design which has lots of angles.

Crab: Still in the planning stages.  I am going to have to take a little artisitic liberty with this one.  The original design seems to lack a clearly defined cockpit and the arms are horrid.

Mad Cat:  Finishing up an Armorcast Mad Cat commission.  This one took forever!  There were tons of mold lines and pin hole air bubbles. If I had to guess, I would say this one was towards the end of production...like the molds were wearing out.  Additionally, we ordered custom decals and it took almost 2 months to get those in.  The customer wanted a "factory fresh" look, which I am not personally fond of.  It is actually hard to reign in that urge to do some weathering, shading, etc.

Let the comments begin.




6 comments:

Padre^ said...

Hey Tim, good to see an update!

I remember when you originally commented on the amount of air bubbles in the Armorcast Mad Cat - I thought it might have been the case that it was from the molds collapsing. My Mad Cat was a dream to work on, with minimal clean-up and bubbles.

That Uziel sounds interesting -very visually striking 'Mech...

Fusco's Battlemech Models said...

From what I am hearing from others, the pin hole issue is a common problem with the Armorcast kits. I am guessing it was just the technology at the time. Glad my kits don't have that issue. On the other hand, the engineering of the Armorcast kits is something I can only dream of achieving.

Unknown said...

The bit is definitely being chomped at, as regards the Mk II. Uzi, Bushy, Crab. Nice lineup, indeed. Looking forward to all of them. Is there any chance at some point in the future of the Cougar seeing another limited run...or were the molds all used up?

Padre^ said...

Yes, good question - I'd probably be in for a Cougar...

Fusco's Battlemech Models said...

The molds were dried out and would not turn out good casts.

Wren said...

Huh…that’s a good point on the Crab….I always thought based on this picture http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/c/c7/Crab.jpg that the cockpit hatch was under that satellite dish-looking sensory array set back in the fuselage.